Menu Close


Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance for Autistic Children

If you’re wondering what financial assistance for parents of autistic children you can get, you’ve come to the right place. Having an autistic child can have a huge financial impact on parents. Many parents can’t work full time with all the appointments, 40+ hours a week of therapy, and doctors’ visits. They often have to also fight with the school system for their child to have the ability to thrive like any other child. So, of course, it makes sense for parents to expect and look for financial assistance and resources. However, the sad news is that there is not much financial support out there nationally. Let me walk you through some of what is available.

5 Ways to Get Financial Assistance for Parents of Autistic Children

1- SSI: Supplemental Security Income:

The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program provides monthly payments to disabled individuals with qualifying incomes and assets. SSI is available to children under the age of 18. However, the income and asset requirements make it almost impossible for many parents to qualify for support. To qualify, children under the age of 18 must meet Social Security’s definition of disability for children in addition to meeting the income and resource limitations of the household. If you’re wondering how to qualify for SSI, check out this blog post:

How Much Can A Parent Make For A Child To Get SSI?

2- School Resources:

School districts may also be a valuable resource for neurodiverse families. Through an Individualized Education Program (IEP), it is possible for autistic students to obtain extra help. Students can get services in school in order to improve their educational experience and meet their learning needs. Schools may be able to offer therapeutic services to students as part of an IEP.

There are also differences in the programs implemented and offered within public and private schools. It can be challenging to establish and maintain an IEP as children progress through their education. IEPs are designed to help children in the K-12 educational system. The transition to higher education can be a difficult one. While colleges and universities do offer neurodiverse students support and a variety of resources, it is often up to the students themselves to seek out additional services.

3- Nonprofits:

There are also numerous nonprofits that are dedicated to helping to support neurodiverse families. This can include providing grants to help cover the costs of therapies, medications, and home care services. Such nonprofits work at the national, state, and local levels, including:

Financial Assistance for Parents of Autistic Children

#FinancialFreedomFriday #autism #earlyIntervention #autismacceptance #autismmom #autismdad #autismmoms #auitismdads #autismfamilies #financialfreedom #autismcafe #opyacares #sorafinance #wecanhelp